Sunday, July 11, 2010

This morning's conversation with Ellie: "Mom, when Collin's big, he can have a bagel, like Ellie!"
"Yes, he can!"
"And he can have cereals, and animal crackers, and broccolis. Oh! He can have a blue ballerina skirt, Mommy! We need to go get him one!"
Trying not to laugh... "Honi, Collin's a boy, he doesn't wear blue skirts."
"Oh, yeah, he needs a pink one."
I gave up trying not to laugh!

Collin is officially sleeping through the night now! Last night he slept 11 1/2 hrs. Sleep, how I've missed thee! And just in time, since Aunt Hesedel gets back in two weeks and he will be moving into Ellie's room. We're working on turning the downstairs front room, which is currently a pile of...stuff...into a playroom and moving all of the toys out of their bedroom. I'm not sure how Ellie will do, since she really enjoys her room time everyday. I know some people might think I'm hard on her, making her play on her own, but I think it's so important that she learns to entertain herself. Not only that, she is so energetic that she needs time to wind down sometimes, and I definitely need a break from playing 20 questions and "look, Mom!" I know there's not magic schedule that will produce perfect kids, but I've noticed that the days without her room time tend to be more frustrating for both of us. I really need to start Collin on a few minutes of 'alone' time, too. By this age I think Ellie was up to twenty minutes of playing on her own. She was also sitting and rolling, though, and Collin gets frustrated at being in the same spot for long.

And speaking of schedules, we are finally getting settled into a good routine. Collin's sleeping is finally settling down into two long naps and one evening catnap. I don't quite have the two of them napping at the same time yet, but I'm working on it! Maybe once they are I can stay caught up on laundry...yeah, right! I think I'm going to die with unfolded laundry! I am so excited for Hesedel to be home! Of course for many more reasons than help with the laundry. It's so nice not to be alone when Steven is traveling. And I love having her around to talk to and listen to during the day. Let's face it, only having a two year old to converse with gets a little old after a while. Although I do enjoy our conversations, both the serious ones and funny ones. I miss watching NCIS and Bones together and squealing like little girls. And having someone to grocery shop with, and go to Cheesecake factory, and someone to walk with. I even miss her teasing, although I'd never admit it to her. I almost miss her telling me to relax when I'm frustrated, although being told that sometimes frustrates me more. Mostly I just miss having her around!

So random, or maybe not, but I really miss my tiny Collin. I'm relieved that he's growing and I love this stage he's in. But the brand new baby stage is still my favorite. My cousin and his wife had a baby this week, and I don't really know them and have never met their girls, but it made me want another one so badly. I don't think I really do, Steven definitely doesn't right now, and neither of us wants to even think about going back to sleepless nights! But I'm afraid I'm going to get the baby bug really soon. I don't want any more tho, until I know I can keep up with Ellie and Collin's discipline, and have time for each of them. I know it wouldn't be fair to either of them right now. I want them to be able to grow up and remember that I had time for them. Ellie and I have been reading (over and over and over...) a book called "Let's Go On a Mommy Date." It's her favorite right now, and it reminds me how important it is for her that I stop and play with her, and get to know her. And soon Collin will need that, too! Sometimes we actually go on 'dates,' to run errands, or go to the bookstore or library or the park. Steven takes her to the zoo when he has a Saturday off, and she loves time with "just Ellie." So I guess #3 will have to wait. But someday...

No comments:

Post a Comment